Welcome to the portfolio I created for my Professional Communications course. This page is not optimized for devices with small screens.
My name is Gopal Othayoth and I am a senior at FMHS. I am into video games, programming, and technology in general. I would like to go into the fields of computer science and software development.
Career Cluster Research
1. Which career cluster did you choose to explore?
I explored the Information Technology career cluster.
2. Select your first job choice in this cluster. What basic education or experience would you need to obtain a job in this field?
Programming & Software Development (15-1132.00 - Software Developers, Applications on onetonline.org). "Software Development, Applications" would be my first job choice in this cluster. Most occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree.
3. What is the outlook for your first job choice (will there be many jobs, rapid growth, etc.)?
My choice shows promise, as there will be a rapid growth of software developer jobs in the near future. It is marked as having a "bright outlook" on onetonline.org
4. Which career specialties did you think fit your interest in your topic the most? Select two and explain your choices.
The career specialty "Web platform development software" fits me the most, as I am a web programming. My secondary choice would be "Object or component oriented development software", as I am also familiar with some of those languages.
5. List four sample reported job titles for this position. Overall, what is one surprising or unexpected task, skill or ability required in these jobs?
Five job titles are: Application Developer, Application Integration Engineer, Applications Developer, Computer Consultant, Information Technology Analyst (IT Analyst), Software Architect, Software Developer, Software Development Engineer, Software Engineer, Technical Consultant. I am surprised that knowledge of electronics concepts like circuit boards are required, since application developers as opposed to system developers do not usually have to know those (especially for web programming).
6. What knowledge and skills must a person possess for these jobs?
Most occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree.
7. Based on your research, which jobs best fit your area of interest? Explain your thinking.
Software Developer or Application Developer, which are in my career cluster of choice. I have been into web programming, software development, and technology in general since a young age.
1. What was the sample size of the data (total number of people)?
2. What was the sample size by gender (number of male/female)?
14 male students, 6 female students
3. What was the sample size by content area?
8 students in Math, 6 students in English, 3 students in Science, 3 students in Social Studies
4. How many total students were successful? Successful per gender? Academic success is attained if a student earns a final grade of 70 or higher.
All 20 students were successful (had a final grade greater than or equal to 70).
All 14 male students and all 6 female students were successful.
5. How many total students were successful per race/ethnicity?
All 20 students were successful. The students categorized by ethnicity are: 3 students with Hispanic origins, 0 students with Native American origins, 1 student with Asian origins, 4 students with African origins, 0 students with Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander origins, 10 students with Caucasian origins, and 2 students with multiracial origins.
6. What conclusions can you draw from this data? Use the answers of the first five questions as a basis to support your conclusions. I would like to see a minimum of 2–3 well-written sentences.
All the students in this sample population were successful (had a final grade greater than or equal to 70). The majority of the students (50%) in this sample population have Caucasian origins, and the minority (5%) have Asian origins. The majority of the students (70%) in this sample population are male, and the minority (30%) are female. The average final grade in this sample population is 78.5. The average final grade for male students is 76.7, and the average final grade for female students is 82.7.
Letter of Interest (Cover Letter)
Letter: Gopal Othayoth Email: Gopal.Othayoth@outlook.com Phone: <phone number> 2020-09-12 <name> Main Event Entertainment Phone: <phone number> Email: <email address> Dear <name>, I would like to apply for the position of Games Attendant at Main Event. I have been going to parties at Main Event for years; I would be thrilled to supervise parties at Main Event. My resume is attached; please consider my application and let me know of your decision. I look forward to working at Main Event! Thanks, Regards, Gopal Othayoth Email: Subject: Application for Games Attendant Dear <name>, I would like to apply for the position of Games Attendant at Main Event. I have been going to parties at Main Event for years; I would be thrilled to supervise parties at Main Event. My resume is attached; please consider my application and let me know of your decision. I look forward to working at Main Event! Thanks, Regards, Gopal Othayoth